Monday, November 12, 2007

Saawariya - my take

I saw Saawariya on Saturday and I loved it immensely. Probably, this is the first movie I saw in Hindi where the director is damn confident to transform his out-of-the-box vision into a commercial movie without sacrificing art even for a second. And this is the thing I liked most about Saawariya. Forget about storyline, music or acting. Just see how the director makes you sit for 3 hours (I’m not sure about the movie length though) in the movie theater while three and half central characters roam around inside the same set – a set with one bridge, one restaurant, some gullies and a tree - telling a clichéd story. More than appreciating the movie, I was stunned with the bold approach of Sanjay Leela Bhansali that he introduced the Victorian drama format in the Hindi movie, that also in such a successful way. Though he tried this story telling in Black also, but I found Black too hammering.

Saawariya may be boring, yawn provoking or disgusting for a lot of viewers, but I found it a masterpiece. I am not trying to prove myself an ‘intellectual’ but honestly that is what I feel about the movie. I am glad that I chose the right movie to watch this Diwali. And believe me, if you can forget the conventional Hindi movie format for some time, you will also enjoy the movie as much as I enjoyed.

1 comment:

Sujatha said...

My friends told me they could not sit through Saawariya. But after reading this post I think I'll attempt the movie. I dont know what the movie's like, but I loved ur post. It felt like reading a piece of poetry, gal. Keep it up