Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A lesson is learnt

Yesterday when I was pouring oil from 1 liter plastic packet to my narrow-necked oil bottle, this story struck me.

The story goes like this. Once sitting in Baikunth, Lord Krishna was in deep thoughts. Narad muni arrived at that very moment and asked what he was thinking about.

Krishna said “Look at that peasant. He is the greatest devotee of mine. When he gets back home, he never misses to pray for me even for once.”

Narad muni couldn’t agree and seemed a bit disappointed with his Lord. He always claimed that he was the greatest devotee of Lord Krishna. He was not happy with a peasant being threat to his claim. So he said promptly “But Prabhu, How can you call him the greatest devotee of yours? He takes your name only once in a day. But look at me. I take your name more than a thousand times a day.”

Lord gave his very famous smile. He said to Narad, “Can you do a job to me?”

“Is that a matter of question, Prabhu?”. Narad said.

“Ok, take a bowl of oil filled to the edges and travel around the entire world from sunrise to sunset”, Lord said.

“Oh, that’s such an easy task!”, Narad was excited.

“I have not finished yet. Make sure that not a single drop of oil spills from the bowl”, Lord Krishna finished his command.

....................

The next morning Narad was set on his task. He took a bowl of oil full till neck and started his journey through the world. After the sunset, he reached Baikunth all exhausted, fatigued, tired and retired. Lork Krishna welcomed him warmly. Narad was happy that he did not let even a single drop of oil to spill from the bowl. Lord listened to him patiently and then asked “how many times did u take my name today?”

Narad was visibly aghast as he murmured “But Prabhu, how could I possibly take your name the entire day? All my concentration was on the bowl so that oil doesn’t spill. I had no mind to think about anything else.”

“Then how can you disgrace that peasant for taking my name only once? From sunrise to sunset he works in the field to make his living. Still he never forgets to take my name at least once when he gets back home. And look at yourself. You didn’t even take my name once during the entire day.”

Narad was speechless.

“Then who do you think the greater devotee of mine; you or that peasant?” Lord Krishna quipped.

2 comments:

Saborni said...

Wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent story. Very beautiful!

Madhushree