Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Style in the Senses...Style in the Movies

When it comes to define style, every person has his own opinion and, for that matter of fact, I have mine too. For me style is to look different and feel different. I remember when I was in school, according to me the most stylish girl in our school was someone who had great sense of dressing but according to all the most stylish girl was someone else who used to come to school applying all sorts of make up that one can think of, that also quite dully!!!

Anyway, over the years, with the international movie and music channels even reaching to the slums, my core idea of style is still very much same with some additions. I think apart from looking really different, the style also craves for lots of innovations and dare to mix-&-match.

Someday back when my 10 year old cousin was watching SRK starrer Don, I had a feeling that it is one of the most stylish films I have ever seen. This gave me a thought to think about the other stylish films and here is a list of some of my most favorite stylish movies, whose names I have not thought yet, but will be adding impromptu.

But one thing is for sure, this list does not contain some very common ‘so called’ stylish movies because I never found them stylish like – Dhoom I and II (why are all running for style???), Mission Impossible II (no style in the concept), Oceans Eleven and Oceans Twelve (dunno why all buffing style led by George Cloony!!!). One movie is stylish for me when the concept of style is incorporated with the theme and here goes my list:

Godfather Trilogy: The surreal music, awesome Brando and Pacino and the amazing silhouettes are all that I can remember about these long-seen movies. The look of Marlon Brando was the ultimate style statement for me.

Charulata: This Satyajit Ray classic is the epitome of style. This is an example how a mind can be stylish and path breaking. I better don’t write much to prove my ignorance.

Matrix: There has been much written about the style and look of this movie, and I agree with most of them. This is my all time favorite and tops the list of watching a movie maximum number of times.

Company: No character here is clad in Manish Malhotra or Rocky S outfit. Rather, the poverty and slum culture prevailed in most part of the movie. Still it was stylish to the core with extraordinary visual effects, lighting, background music (ganda hai par dhanda hai yeh still buzzes my mind) and post-production color effects. Being a great aficionado of RGV productions, it is hard for me to leave a single movie by Ramu.

Bhoot: Another ultimate style statement. Nothing really happened in 80% of the movie but along with the entire theatre, I was also in the process of breathing in and breathing out. The stylish effect of the movie kept adding more and more suspense with every single frame.

Lagaan: The earthen smell that the story wove was very well felt to the 20 feet away seat from the screen. If this is not style then what is?

Don: Though weak contestant in my list, I am a little biased to Farhan Akhtar. I liked it because the style and greenish look of the movie really went well with the fashion that the story continued.

No comments: