Monday, July 4, 2011

You give what you have

Paulo Coelho’s ‘Like The Flowing Rivers’ is one of my most favorite books. There was a small story in that book. The story goes like this :

Once upon a time there was a humble man who was roaming from one place to another trying to spread the words of God. But for some reason the people misunderstood him and were insulting and harassing him a lot. One day while he was walking on the street saying God’s words, some people came and hit him with stones and abused him badly. He turned around and said ‘May God bless you’..and kept walking. There was a man who observed this and asked the humble man that why he didn’t scold those people who hurt him but even blessed him! The humble man said ‘They gave me what they have. I gave them what I have’.

This one story is somehow etched in my heart. I always remember this story whenever someone insulting me, abusing me or hurts me. This is what this person is capable of giving to the world. I try to be the humble man. But it’s not easy. I falter and then realize again.

4 comments:

Gaurab said...

Wah, khub sundor golpo. All of us, some day or other, face some one like those. We have to remember who we are, and give back what we have.
Khub bhala lagse poria... tui majhe majhe bhala jinis o likhos, oswikar korte pariar na... ;D

Doell said...

To Gaurab,

swikar korar liga dhanyobad

IdontNeedName said...

Nice article, this gives me a stimulus to read Paulo’s “Like The Flowing Rivers”.
However, I do think you did a typo in saying that it’s a movie. Don’t you? I do not know this book has been dramatized yet.

Doell said...

To IdontNeedName,

Thanks for catching the erroer...yes, it's a book and not a movie.... it's not a novel...Paulo Coelho has jotten down various write-ups in this book...it's more like a printed version of a blog. Yes, if you like reading then you can read it...it's a very nice book.