Sunday, July 24, 2011

FlipKart - the Genie

Last Saturday I was approaching the end of the novel Simoquin Prophecies by Samit Basu. As I was fairly enamored and enchanted with the novel, I couldn’t wait to start on with its sequels – The Manticores’s Secret and The Unwaba Revelations. So on Staurday, after attending my gohonzon meeting near my house I went for Swapna book store in Indiranagar only to find that they don’t have the books with them. Broken hearted I placed the order with them and was thinking of what options I have in hand to get the books-
Option 1: Landmark (what if I don’t get the book there? It’s already 3pm!)

Option 2: Crosswrd (bad option…they didn’t even have The Simoquin Prophecies when I had checked earlier, forget about its sequels)

Option 3: The shop from where I had bought The Simoquin Prophecies on March 27, 2011 as a birthday gift to myself (I can’t go there without any friend taking me there…I have forgotten the route…I just remember that it’s somewhere in Kormangala opposite to a Persian restaurant called Sufi….forget about the route, I don’t even remember the name of that shop L….I tried calling two friends who can take me there…one is sleeping and one’s call is getting forwarded to dunno where)

So, finally after 2-3 minutes of mental juggling between three options, I decided to come back home with a heavy heart.

Next day at office as all my friends came to know about my book crisis, one friend suggested that she could place the order in Flipkart on behalf of me and I could get the books delivered to me in two days. As I had no alternative option in hand, I agreed. She placed an order with Flipkart for The Manticores’s Secret and The Unwaba Revelations on Monday at 9pm. Next day at 2pm I get a mail from my office mail room that I have received a courier and to my utter wonder what I see that Flipkart has already delivered my books to my office address! I hardly could believe it and ran towards the mailroom to grab the packet. I knew Flipkart is efficient but this amount of efficiency even I didn’t expect.

All thanks to my friend Chandrima who took the initiative and ordered the books for me. But then what are friends for?

Thanks to all my jumping around with new books in hand that all my friends came one by one to smell the fragrance of new books while passing comments on what kind of books I read, thanks to the tooth-breaking, mind-frisking-but-still-can’t-understand-the-meaning book titles. Now that I am 80% submerged in the pages of The Manticores’s Secret (20% consciousness I have held back to carry on with my office and house hold work), all credit goes to the Genie in my life - Flipkart.

8 comments:

Purba said...

U didn't tell me the whole story :).
But after reading this article I can imagine the 'jumping and chirping doel' with her broad smile very clearly....I am happy for u...:):)

Madhushree Deb said...

Flipkart is a real genie. I recommended it to my colleagues and guess what? Almost all of them have used this site and ordered books which are not available in book stores. What more? One colleague of mine has ordered dozens and dozens of Marathi books which he found nowhere...everybody thanks me for introducing this website to them (Collars up!!!!)
-Madhushree

Gaurab said...

hummmmmm, so that was when I was in Hyd. just wondering, why the call was getting forwarded... must be new trick by Vodafone to shell more money.

Navneet said...

Flipkart built my trust in online shopping. I have been using it since early 2010 and they used to sell only books then,today they sell movies, music, games, mobiles, home appliances, health care and personal care products..... I recently bought a cellphone from them.

If I ever start my company, I will demonstrate similar level of customer service that always bring a smile on a customer's face.

Navneet said...

FYI, they sell bengali books too....... am sharing the link of this post on Flipkart's page on Facebook.

Navneet said...

Given below comment is from the flipkart team.They posted this comment on their FB page after I shared the "Flipkart- the Genie" link with them.

‎@Navneet - Thanks for sharing! Do pass our appreciation to Doell.

We get a buzz from solving a book crisis. Thank you for the lovely blog post... love that we're looked at as your genie.Much like rubbing a lamp, we're just a mouse click away. :)

Doell said...

To Navneet,

Thanks for the comment and more thanks for taking my blog post to a step forward and reaching my message to my Genie - Flipkart...thanks a lot :)

Madhushree Deb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.