Sunday, July 24, 2011

Girls and Shopping

People say that going for a shopping with a girl is a boring affair. They say that girls keep roaming in the entire market to look for stuffs and then can’t decide what to buy. I never agree with this since I am also a girl and I don’t shop that way. My way of shopping is

1. Identify the requirement
2. Decide on the brand
3. Locate the shop
4. Pick the stuff, make payment and come out of the shop/mall

I keep deciding the points from 1st to 3rd in my mind and I go to a particular shop only when I have decided on the first three criteria. My sister also shops in the same fashion.

People say girls don’t shop that way. For some girls, well, this is true.

I remember I had a friend in Kolkata who was a shopaholic. Then I was too young to know the meaning of ‘shopaholic’ but now when I think about her I understand that she was a shopaholic. I remember once me and my sister had accompanied her in a market called Dakshinapon in Kolkata. We entered the first shop and me and my sister were done with our shopping for the Puja. She liked one dress in that shop and didn’t buy it as she wanted to be sure that the one she chose was actually the best dress in her affordable range in the market (thank god she didnt go for the entire city!). So she kept checking all the dresses in all the shops. Me and my sister were on the verge of falling down with pain in legs and feet and then she went back to the first shop to re-look at the dress that she had liked initially only to find out that it was sold out. So she kept regretting and took another round of the market looking for a similar dress. Finally she didn’t buy anything. This was such a horrific experience for me and my sister that we used to get scared whenever that friend used to ask us to accompany her for shopping. The root cause analysis of the matter tells that this girl didn’t know what she wanted.

I had a similar experience recently. I had gone with a friend of mine (a girl) for shopping. This was the first time I was going with her for shopping. I picked up my stuff and then started looking for her. I found her confused between two three shirts and trousers (she was shopping for her brother) so decided to help her out. There was some offer going on that if you buy two, then get one free. I helped her choosing two shirts and one trouser for her brother. I was happy as it was done and then asked her to go for billing. But she was still looking confused. I asked her ‘what happened?’…she says ‘this brand is not good. Let’s check another brand.’….and went ahead towards another brand outlet. I was shocked! If she didn’t like that particular brand then why did she choose so many clothes from there in the first place? Then she went ahead with another round of selecting dresses from another brand...........Anyway, the root cause analysis of this matter also tells that this girl didn’t know what she wanted.

I think the basic objective of shopping should be ‘buy what you want’…if you know your requirement then it won’t take more than 10 minutes to figure out if the dress you want is there in the shop or not….and if the shop has that dress…it won’t take more than 5 minutes to locate it. Just go systematically. It’s simple. I don’t understand why these girls are so confused!

6 comments:

Purba said...

I still remember that Dakshinapan incident very clearly...hhehehe

Madhushree Deb said...

I also actually don't agree with what people say about shopping with girls because I and both my sisters-in-law shop like the way you do. Know what you want, locate the shop, pick up the stuff and pay for it and just get out of there. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, my two brothers....I really wonder if actually there is something in this world which they want because they always try to choose the best and they never get that. They will look for that 1 shirt in 1000 shops. Given a chance they both are ready to spend an entire day in shops just to find out the best piece. It is a torture for someone who is not very fond of shopping and is accompanying them. I dread to go with them and I remember that I had a very bad fight with my elder bro on this matter a few years ago in the shopping mall itself...some people are chauvinists.

Kasturi said...

Hi,

I think it’s not about Girls or Guys....it’s about anyone's liking for shopping..... I can analysis the reason for roaming here and there and buying nothing if the person is someone like my mother. She is a house wife and she hardly goes out of her daily routine at home. So when she gets a chance to roam around, she enjoys it... :-)
Some people love to buy in shortest time.....and some people love to spend as much as possible time to check that what all are there before they buy.....but the things got worse if these two types go for shopping together :-)

Madhushree Deb said...

Hey Kasturi, I really liked your comment :-)

Doell said...

To Madhu,

You shop more like me and my sister...may be that's why we understand each other for so many year :)

Doell said...

To Kasturi,

Welcome to my blog...thanks for the comment :) .....yes you are right...like Madhu, I also love your comment :)