Thursday, January 24, 2008

My early plunge into Mumbaiyaa Marathi

Somedays back while having lunch, a friend of mine asks me 'Do you know what gardi means?' I was clueless what he was saying. Then others started laughing saying 'she's really new in Mumbai'. Then they said that gardi means crowd, rush, etc.

Fine, I learnt it. Then that same friend asked me again 'do you know what kaanda means?' I was again totally clueless! Then they said that it means onion.

The next word was a shock! Someone asked me 'do you the meaning of batata'? This time the word seemed familiar to me and I said 'wada?'

Then suddenly all were pieces into laughter. And again I was totally and entirely clueless!
Then someone said that batata means potato and batata wada is a snack in Mumbai.

But I always thought batata wada is a single word!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

batatawada is single words. it is not 2 words. ur frnd made ur menduwada. when batata stuffed in mendu its a menduwada.