Sunday, January 20, 2008

My day out to Haji Ali

Last Saturday I went to Haji Ali. It was such a wonderful experience to finally be there. I dont know for how long I had been yearning to visit the dargah. Can't even remember any particular reason behind that. Mumbai was never on my list to as I was always keen to settle down in Bngalore. I remember, the moment I decided to come to Mumbai, the first and only thing that I wanted to visit in the city was Haji ali.

Everything now seems to be pre-detremined and I seem to be a mere doll in the greatest force of nature. The day I joined my job here, the first person I happened to meet was Shaira. The very next day I asked her how I can go to Haji Ali and if she would be able to accompany me. She got so excited over that and said that even she was thinking to visit the place for a long time and actually she'd never been there!

So me, Shaira and two more of our colleagues decided over a date and we finally set for Haji Ali. Commuting in Mumbai is quite comfortable so our reaching to Haji Ali was not a problem at all. After that everything was simply blissful. The walk down to dargah, standing beside the mausoleum, tying the thread for mannat and getting the stroke of holy broom on head - everthing was celestial. We gave our chaddar to maulavi and he spread it over the mausoleum. I was standing there for quite some time, wondering as I was really there and then the maulavi gave me the prashad (I dont know exactly what it is called).

No need to mention of course, for the entire day the lines of Piya Haji Ali were buzzing in my mind. Consciously or unconsciously I was humming to the tunes almost relentlessly. Now, I can also relate to the words what I had been listening for so many years!

khuda apne waliyon se hota hai raazi
milegi ye dar se hamein sarfarazi
yaha dil se mango ye hazi ali hain
khuda ke vali hain