Monday, January 28, 2008

The Alchemist – my take

Very rarely we come across some pieces of art – be it a music piece, a painting, a poem or a novel, that opens up a new window in front of our eyes. And I believe that it is the responsibility of the artists or authors or poets to do that, if not again and again but at least for once in a life time. I found Alchemist opening some hidden windows of my mind that I never really realized that existed so strongly!

When I heard the name of the book for the first time, I wondered what this book deals with. The name suggested being some theory on alchemy – the study of chemistry practiced in the middle ages that involved changing base metals into gold. So I was not at all interested.

My first acquaintance with the writing of Paulo Coelho happened with ‘Like the Flowing Rivers’. I instantly fell in love with the immense sense of spirituality that his thoughts carried.

After that I was in a look out for Alchemist and recently I was able to borrow it from a colleague of mine. The book teasers never really interest me and this one saying - “A magic fable about following your dream” also could not arouse any interest in me. So I started reading it only because it’s written by Paulo Coelho remembering all the good and bad feedbacks I got about it.

What I felt was that the novel is all about positivity. It talks about the positive energy of life, the positive approaches of the world and the positive signs of the universe, which are termed here as omens. How rightly! The metaphors and symbols are so true. The king, the desert, the oasis, the war – everything is so meaningful to everybody’s life if we treat them as a reason to something!

And the statement - “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it” is so true! I have experienced the force of nature, the omens so many times in my life but I really never thought that way! A mere book can’t really change the life of a reader but it may definitely influence the perception in a very strong way; if not permanently then definitely for a good long amount of time.

1 comment:

Sonali said...

I agree with ur views...this book was not only a lovely read but also made me realize once again how dreams should be given a solid foundation of deeds to make them come true...