Thursday, January 26, 2012

Story vs Story-telling

While watching a movie, ever felt like that the movie shouldn't end? I felt the same while watching Dhobi Ghat. I felt like watching some more days of those characters....reading some more pages of the Mumbai Diary...

But unfortunately most people go to see a movie to see the story.....many people don't understand that more than the story, the way of story telling is more important in a movie. So, when I was about to watch Dhobi Ghat, my room mate said that she and all her friends hated the movie and they didn't understand the story and she warned me not to watch it. But after I had finished watching the movie, when I said that I loved it, she was looking at me as if am an alien and told me 'I think you should get your brain checked'. So I told her that this movie is for a niche audience and I fall in that niche like many others who loved watching Dhobi Ghat like my brother and sister. She seemed a little pacified.

It's difficult for me to explain why I liked the movie, except for the technical aspects like editing and amazing sound engineering, but I liked the way the story was told here, since I believe that the way of story telling is more important than the story itself. And when the way of story telling is not dependent on the story itself, the movie watching becomes as delightful as this.

For example, the way of story telling in Dhobi Ghat is so unique and so much independent from it's story and the characters within, that you can actually fit ANY movie story in this format and present it. It's amazing, it's like a variable that can take the form of any value.

And more importantly, the story is also something which has no fixed beginning or fixed ending. The typical Yash Chopra, Karan Johar or Farah Khan pattern of story telling would have killed the story.

Few other movies that I can think of right now whose story-telling was unique and flexible enough to be treated as variable are - Hazaron Khwaishein Aisi, Jab we Met and Andaz apna Apna.

7 comments:

Gaurab said...

Amar o besh koyek bar mone hoise ei kotha ta.. tor room met er loge amar 1ta mil paowa gelo.

Gaurab said...

Movie ami dekhsi na, tai comment kora takiya biroto thaklam.
Comparison with Andaz Apna Apna is a ta khub e boro expectation associate kora. ami dekhmu... with a rite mind :-)

Simanti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
IdontNeedName said...

You are niche indeed!
Do not want to comment on the cinema, these are quite uncommon in this part of the world. And I didn’t manage to get any print. However, I have never heard any one claiming “I belong to niche class/audience”; not even the great Monsieur Andre Bazin. This ain’t good. It amuses me rather.

Doell said...

@ IdontNeedName,

The word 'niche' means 'a suitable place in life'. So, when I said I belong to the niche of Dhobi Ghat kind of movie, I mean that Dhobi Ghat kind of movie is 'suitable' to my taste.

Similarly, people who find Desi Boys kind of movie 'suitable' to their taste, they become the 'niche' audience of Desi Boys' kind of movie.

Every people belong to some or other niche. There are movies, novels, music, art for people of every taste. It's just a matter of following the taste one person has. There's no good or bad in having a particular taste. The tastes can be 'different' from one another. Hence, the concept of 'niche audience' comes in.

The word 'niche' doesn't mean 'classy' or 'arty' or 'intellectual'. So, I don't think i have 'claimed' anything saying that I belong to the niche of Dhobi Ghat'.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. You can always check the dictionary also, if you don't trust me.

Btw, who is Monsieur Andre Bazin? And, which part of the world do you belong that you don't get print of Dhobi Ghat?

Simanti said...

I agree with u ....Dhobi Ghat is a movie for which you have to set ur mind first and think for a while about what piece of work you are going to watch...
So the moral of the story is I also liked the movie a lot.. :)

Doell said...

@ Simanti,

Yes, right :)