Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Holi that was not of colour

I remember the Holi I had spent in the year of 2009. I was in Silchar. I was so happy. I visited all the houses in my neighborhood with packets of dry colour and played Holi with everybody, no matter how old they were. I always love to play Holi. I think I love to do everything that involves people and fun unless I am forced to do that.


Last year’s Holi was very bad. Like always I was getting prepared for Holi buying dry colours. This time I bought expensive vegetable colours with mild fragrance. I was very sure that that day would be a day to remember in the future. I was expecting to have a lot of fun. But I was actually playing hide and seek with myself as one part of my mind always knew that nothing what I was expecting was going to happen. Still I kept hoping until it broke down completely.


This year I am in Bangalore. There is no one I know in the neighborhood. So, this year’s Holi was a lazy weekend full of books, cinema, food, cricket match and ample amount of rest. I completed ‘An Unaccustomed Earth’ by Jhumpa Lahiri in the free time. I found it even better than The Interpreter of Maladies. But the melancholic feeling that it left after it was over was so unbearable for me that for one day I didn’t start any new book and started watching Hindi movies in Max. It worked. The India-West Indies match was also a great stress buster for me.


Today I have started reading The Quilt by Ismat Chughtai. I am planning to gift myself some books on my birthday this year :)

No comments: