Saturday, December 22, 2007

Kailashe Kelenkari - an experience

Today I saw Kailashey Kelenkari (A Killer in Kailash). All thanks to my friend Simanti. She took the pain to get up early in the morning and come to my place as I invited her over breakfast. But let me confess that my aloo ka paratha was a disaster and total flop. Anyway, we two got out and by the time we reached Nandan, there was already an one and half kilometer queue outside the ticket counter to greet us. It took exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes to get the tickets and then we could not think anything else but going to a restaurant and have lunch. As we lost too much time to get the ticket only, we had to shelve our plan to take stroll in the New Market :(

Kailashey Kelenkari started at 4 pm. For non-Bengali readers - The movie Kailashey Kelenkari is based on the famous mystery novel by Satayjit Ray of the same name with private detective Feluda as the protagonist. The movie is directed by his son Snadip Ray. Like Bombaiyer Bombete (The Buccaneers of Bombay), this was also a wonderful one, though I felt it a bit monotonous in the middle. The story was handled very well while the use of mobile phone was mingled very impressively. Mind it, the story was written in 1974 and there was no mention of mobile phone in the novel! Sabyasachi Chakrabarty was as always excellent as Feluda, Parambrata was a braggart as Topse and Bibhu Bhattacharjee an ok as Jatayu. The caves of Ellora are so well shot and well described, just like the novel itself, that it was a pleasure watching the movie. But I really missed Rajatava as I had no idea that he is not in Kailashey Kelenkari. As a whole, it was the grandest experience I could have before leaving Kolkata.

But every time I watch a Feluda movie, I just have a feeling that wish Satyajit Ray was immortal. There's no more story of Feluda left to read. How can I forget spending my entire teenage reading and admiring each and every tale of mystery that Feluda solved so easily - just with his extraordinary wit and intelligence!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear u forgot to mention abt the icecream...he he... :)

Sujay said...

I cannot wait to watch this movie, being a huge Feluda fan. But in Canada I don't think I can watch it at least where I live.