Friday, October 14, 2011

Coincidence or Deliberate?

Chetan Bhagat’s novel Five Point Someone was the main inspiration for the blockbuster movie Three Idiots. Initially the announcement was like that Raju Hirani is making a movie on Five Point Someone with Amir Khan as lead. But after the movie released, there was no credit given to Mr Bhagat and it lead to many interesting articles in newspapers while Chetan Bhagat claimed being ditched.

Some days back, I found one article in news paper where Mr Bhagat is posing proudly and the article is about him and Hong Kong. Then I came to know that Mr Bhagat used to work as an Investment Banker in Hong Kong before turning a full time writer. It instantly rang a bell. Isn’t Chetan Bhagat a pass out from IIT? That means he is an engineer. And he used to work as an Investment Banker? Wasn’t the comic guy in the movie Three Idiots who was Kareena Kapoor’s fiancé also an Investment Banker and wasn’t he also an engineer? Because I remember Amir Khan saying “Agar bank mein hi kam karna tha to engineering kyun kiya?” about the guy.

I don’t read Chetan Bhagat’s books simply because I don’t like his soap-operatic conversationalist storytelling. So I never bothered to complete Five Point Someone after reading 5-6 pages of it. So I never know what are the similarities and differences between the novel and the movie. Then I checked out with my brother who has read the novel Five Point Someone (yes, full novel) if this character was there in the novel. He said that he wasn’t.

Ok. So is that a mere coincidence or something deliberate?

No comments: