Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Taste does matter

I am not very stylish, neither do I spend a lot on branded garments. But I make sure that I dress decently. After all, the clothes are reflections of our minds. My mother says that when you see anyone wearing tattered, torn, unclean and worn-out dresses (even though that person has enough money to buy decent clothes), you'll understand that that person possesses 'tama guna', which is the worst type of character a person can posses according to Hindu shastras. The complete list of all guna in descending order of virtue is : Satya, Raja, Tama.

Anyway, back to me. I always prefer to wear clean cotton dresses. Though I am not a brand freak, but when it comes to buy readymade dresses, I prefer to buy it from a good shop. Earlier I used to like to shop from Fabindia but I have stopped it ever since their revised price has reached sky. Now I pick dresses from any good showroom.

But I have always been appreciated for my taste for dresses, bags, shoes and other accessories. Recently I had bought a handbag. It cost me Rs. 350. Next day when I went to office, a colleague of mine liked it so much that she insisted me to get the same bag for her. I got one for her. The next day when I reached office with two bags, one in my use and the other for my colleague, another colleague of us insisted me to get the same bag for his wife. So the next day I got another bag again! Later when I checked other places, I came to know that the minimum price that bag is available elsewhere is Rs. 800!

So, that's how I shop. I don't buy expensive branded stuff. But I buy decent things and for that I need to pick the stuff of my choice from a place of my choice. And of course my mobile phone. It's still a rage among my friends and colleagues. I never liked any Micromax or Corby mobile. I know what I like and I want to go for the stuff I like. I have bought Nokia X5-01 and I still relish the moment when people appreciate it with raised eyebrows.

There was a time in my life when I was not allowed to buy anything - forget about buying a thing of my choice. I had to wear something which used to loathe. On top of that I used be accused of possessing a bad taste by the same people who used to compel me from buying stuff of my choice! What an irony! Thank god I am out of that dirty well now.

2 comments:

IdontNeedName said...

Looks like lot of newer stuff happening with you. New job, new clothes, new cell… what else??

Happy going gal… :)

Doell said...

To IdontNeedName

Thanks :)