Monday, June 18, 2007

Rains and ARR!!!!

It has nothing to do with my poem on rain. Just like – when a palm dropped from the tree, the crow went flying!!!!! I posted the poem on Thursday and from Friday the sky of Delhi became dark and melancholic not letting anyone know it’s sad story. While not being able to control anymore, the sky poured all raindrops in the city. It’s heavenly, it’s celestial though causing a thousand and one difficulties to go out, get bus, get auto, go office, go vegetable market and al last come back home. Still, the rain is desperate and warm. Yes it’s kosa and I felt its bosa a number of times on my face!!!!

There are some songs, which don’t care my invitation to come to my mind as soon as it rains. They are –

Bheegi Bheegi Jadubhari – A magical song. Don’t know whether Sujata sang it better or ARR composed it better! The wet charm keeps yearning long after it finishes.

Ghanan Ghanan – This Lagaan song has shared a number of special moments with me. I remember, then I was in Kolkata and it was a sweaty, sticky summer. While coming back home at the end of the day, standing in the bus not getting to sit, I almost drowned myself humming it bit-by-bit, tune-by-tune. Suddenly I came to consciousness as I found it started raining heavily outside! I got down two stops earlier and enjoyed every drop of the heavenly rain as it was
especially for me!!!

Puthum Pudhu Boomi – Though I don’t understand the meaning of its lyrics, but do music have any language? For all these years I have been considering it as a rain song, still I don’t know its literal meaning. But then, who cares?

Water Songs – All water songs are someway or other related to rains and ever since the OST released in India, none of rainy day passes without remembering Piya Ho, Bangari Marori or Ayo Re Sakhi.

4 comments:

AC said...

Putham Puthu Boomi isn't rain song. No need to know the language, if you just remember Hindi version of it, you'd agree with me.

Anonymous said...

Hi, glad to have come by this blog! Putham Puthu Bhumi - the lyrics mean: "want a fresh new land, want one meal a day, golden rain should fall, and the cuckoo sing Tamil ... O Gods, come and flourish in this soil"

Another "rain song" you might like - "Pagla Hawa", by Tagore

Anonymous said...

One addition from my side "oru thuli" from En Swasa Katre....u need not even get the lyrics. Just note how the rhythm of the song emulates that of splashing water on a rainy day....it's amazing how ARR's music actually speaks without words!!

Doell said...

rama

Thanks for the translation. It's really nice to know the meaning after so many years of listening. BTW, I am Bengali so I know almost all the Tagore songs. Tagore made a number of fabulous rains songs.....all worth listening, learning and siging...