Thursday, September 4, 2014

Mental Slavery

The movie Mary Kom has released. I am sure in next couple of hours all those I-am-a-great-Hollywood-buff would start screaming that it's a copy paste of Million Dollar Baby.

No? You dont think Mary Kom is a rip off of Million Dollar Baby? Please, you must be kidding. Can't you see Priyanka is practicing in the ring like Hillary Swank? Cant you see she is a boxer like Hillary? What? Mary Kom is based on a real life story of Mary Kom from India? But, who is Mary Kom? Whatever, I am not interested in all these GK...please keep these geeky stuff to yourself...I follow only NBA and Whitehouse politics...what the crap are you talking about?

Well, that's pretty much the type of people we have in India now, who have no respect for their country and grossly believe that all Bollywood movies are copy paste of Bollywood movies even if the Bollywood movie realead earlier!!! For exameple, I have heard hundreds of people saying how Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya (MPKK) released in 2005 is a complete rip-off of Just Go with It (JGWI) released in 2011!!! It's a different thing that both these movies are loosely based on Cactus Flower released in 1969...so interestingly no one is calling JGWI a rip-off....but MPKK? Oh, it's a blatant copy.

So, essentially we have a generation coming up who are mentally slaves to USA, UK, or any developed country for that matter. They believe it with every drop of their blood that everything that happens in India is crap, and everything happening in USA is great. They watch Hollywood movies, they watch English serials....i know people who dont know the name of Hrithik Roshan and they are so proud of it. They cant even think of watching a Hindi serial or a Hindi movie.

I watch both Hindi and English serails...I have my likes and dislikes in both the groups. I watch movies made in Hindi, English, Bengali. I never had this feeling that all movies made in English are better than all movies made in Hindi or Bengali. Again, I have my likes and dislikes in both the groups. I have seen rotten English movies (they are successful commercially though and I see so many people going ga ga over them) and I have seen the greatest of Hindi and Benglai movies...Even though I watch a lot of English movies and serails, I never felt like looking down upon Hindi or Bengali stuff. I can neve believe in the fact that everything that comes out in English is better than everything that is made in Hindi or Bengali.

So, I really dont know where these people are going. No matter how much they try, they will remain Indian the entire life...no matter how much they hate their own culture or own people and no matter where they go in the world, they will always be associated with India and its culture and its movies and its people. No matter how much excellance they gain in English languagae, their mother tongue will never be English and they will always be tagged as "non-native English speakers". No matter how great their knowledge in Hollywood in, they still might be victim of racist attack in USA for being an Indian.

Then why not stop running after to be someone they are not? Then why not start appreciating what they have?

No comments: