Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What the heck?

I love to wear saree. I wear saree whenever I get a chance. So, I usually wear saree at least once a week to work.

But I am really sick and tired with the attitude people show. Some example:

1)Some colleague: "Hey, happy birthday!"... Me: "I don't celebrate my birthday every week!"

2)Some women: Ohh she's wearing saree. Vilager! A shame to our corporate lifestyle!!!

3)Some women: Circus!

4)Some men: Edible!

5)Some men: Where's "dress you like" party? I also want to go...I also want to go....I'll wear my golden sherwani with silver dupatta!!!!

Whether I want to entertain or not, everyday someone will come and say "Oh, how do you manage a cotton saree for whole day? I can't even manage for half an hour. I would not be able walk and would just sit the whole time".

But that day one lady said something which even surpasses everything I have heard until now: "Oh, how do you manage a saree? I would not even be able to breathe if I wear a saree!!!!"

Come on. This is just a saree. And am I not in India? Haven't we grown up seeing our mothers in saree? I don't know where this double standard attitude of people will end. Saree is supposed to be the most normal dress in India. But the way people behave as if I have come down from the Jupiter.

Anyway, I will continue wearing saree and keep avoiding all those prying, laughing, amazed, horrid eyes.

1 comment:

IdontNeedName said...

What an irony! An Indian, in India, hears such remarks for wearing an Indian dress.
And those so called pundit's say western dress causes trouble on Indian roads!