Sunday, November 7, 2010

Culinary Achievement

Last weekend I tried to overcome my age old fear to prepare Dosa and Sambar. I was always afraid that once I’ll pour the batter on the frying pan, it won’t come out freely but will remain stuck on the frying-pan. But to my wonder, my dosa preparation experiment was a successful one. Thanks to my friends Sharatha and Sharanya for teaching me how to prepare it.

I didn’t want to prepare Dosa with readymade batter available in the market. I wanted to do it from the scratch. So I bought the Idli rice and Urad dal (kalai dal) from the shop (not to mention that the shop keeper was also very warm to help me when I told him that I was trying it out for the first time), took Urad dal and rice and soaked them in two different bowls. The next morning I grinded them separately and left them in two different bowls to ferment. In the evening I mixed the grinded rice and grinded dal, added some salt and got ready to prepare Dosa and face my fear.

I put oil in the frying pan (then only I realized that we didn’t have a non-stick frying pan!), spread it on the pan with the help of brinjal head and poured the batter, spread it on the pan and started to call all gods I could remember at that time. I could see it was taking some time to get cooked, so I went away from there. When I returned I found that the Dosa was ready to get turned. When I turned it, it did not show any tantrum and didn’t really stick on the frying pan! I couldn’t believe that my fear didn’t come true. I prepared another dosa as a trial and we all were still surprised while having it that I actually prepared it.

The next day our breakfast menu was Dosa-Sambar. I prepared sambar, which was easy and dosa for all. My breakfast menu was a hit as my brother said that this was the best food he had in last 2-3 years. So, I actually got the Culinary Achievement Award! :D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!!!

IdontNeedName said...

brinjal head... traditional hue?

btw... do I get to eat your 'much acclaimed" dosa?

I always eat out and dont mind taking one more risk of lifetime..

Doell said...

To IdontNeedName,

Yes, that's our traditional way of spreading oil in the pan and also a trick of cooking in less oil.

You are welcome to taste my dosa and I promise you won't regret :)

Btw, you could have written in your name. Even I don't mind real life shocks :P

IdontNeedName said...

Well known personalities do not need a name and they do not take risk without invitation ;-)